CEEOL (we, us, our), is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We take the privacy of all of our customers and site users seriously and take great care to protect your personal information.
This policy governs any kind of processing (including collection, use, transfer, storage and deletion) of personally identifiable information (any information that may be used to identify a physical person, and any other information associated therewith) about natural persons using this website. This policy applies to our processing of data collected through any means, actively as well as passively, online from persons located anywhere in the world. Any question regarding our processing of personal data may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact email@example.com.
We may collect personally identifiable information for the only purpose to facilitate your access to and usage of the CEEOL archive. We will be guided by the following principles when processing data:
- We will only collect data for specific and specified purposes;
- We will not collect data beyond what is necessary to accomplish those purposes;
- We will not use data for purposes other than that for which the data was collected, except as stated herein, or with prior consent;
- We will not transfer data to third parties or across borders, except as stated herein, or with prior consent;
- We will seek to verify and/or update data periodically, and we will accept requests for amendments of personal data;
- We will apply high technical standards to make our processing of data secure;
- Except when stated herein, we will not store data in identifiable form longer than is necessary to accomplish its purpose, or as is required by law.
To access the content on CEEOL and make use of our services, we ask you to register for a personal user account and, therefore, to complete and submit the registration form. This form may ask for additional information, that are not mandatory for opening a user account. We also require users to agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use
Information you provide may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- information about your institutional affiliation;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you submit;
- Interests and communication preferences.
Automatically collected information
After you have accessed our web-site we may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for user analysis. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual, unless that information has been given by a user with informed consent. We may obtain information about your general CEEOL usage by using a cookie file, which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
In summary, the cookies we use enable us:
- To estimate our general audience size and how they use our site
- To recognise you when you return to our site
- Track the first and last pages you visit and your total number of visits to the website
- Track how long you spend on any page existing within our website
- Track how you have been visiting the website
- Track how you came to access the website including any keyword searches, search engine information or referrer
- Track the resources that you access.
- To store information about your preferences to allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests
How we will use your information
We use the personal information you provide in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was intended to be used:
- to facilitate your use of the CEEOL website;
- to respond to your inquiries and requests about CEEOL;
- to improve the design of our site and for system administration;
- to provide any kind of support (technical, product support or other) and keep services working and secure;
- to provide you with product service announcements, special offers, promotions, surveys and other information about our services, products and events of ours, our affiliated publishers, editors authors and sponsors;
- to send newsletters;
- for troubleshooting purposes;
- to identify and analyze usage trends (for research, audits, reporting and paying royalties to third party content providers);
- to enable us to respond to uses of the CEEOL archive in violation of the CEEOL Terms and Conditions of Use;
- to, in aggregated form, track and analyze site usage.
We may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
If you want CEEOL to stop using your personal information, see the “Opting Out” paragraph below.
Data for Statements of Account
Since CEEOL is obliged to provide for the copyright-holders statistical data regarding content usage and accounting data regarding downloads of payable content, all information needed for these reports and statements is automatically collected. The reports of CEEOL, however, do never provide any individual or personal, but only statistical data to third parties.
CEEOL provides COUNTER-enabled statistics to institutional customers. These statistics give some indication on downloads per IP address within the IP range of the institution. In the exceptional case that one IP address is linked to only one user, this may allow the reader of the statistics to draw a conclusion about this person.
We have appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial measures in place to prevent unauthorized access to the information we collect online. We nonetheless recognize that third parties may obtain access to information through unlawful actions, and thus do not promise that your information always will remain private, despite our efforts and the importance we place on maintaining your privacy. In addition, we do not claim any responsibility for information collected by or from websites linking to or from www.ceeol.com. In the event that we discover or are notified of a security breach where personal information is at risk, we will notify you electronically if we have your email address. If you do not wish to be notified via email in the event of a breach, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosure of your personal information
CEEOL may disclose personal information
- if required to do so by law;
- if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to comply with the law or a legal proceeding;
- to protect against violations of our Terms and Conditions of Use;
- to protect and defend our rights and property or the rights and property of contributors to the CEEOL archive;
- to detect, investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity;
- to protect the rights, property or safety of our users, employees or others.
Access to your Information and Accuracy
CEEOL may allow registered users to access their account information and make corrections or updates upon log in at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user. You may also request access to other personal information about you that may be stored ( email@example.com).
Data Retention, Opting Out
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. CEEOL will remove your personal information from our database on request. Please note that this may cancel your access to the CEEOL archive. To remove your personal information, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Central and Eastern European Online Library GmbH Basaltstrasse 9
60487 Frankfurt am Main
Phone: +49 (0)69-20026820
Fax: +49 (0)69-20026819